by Jennifer Katz
While national prognosticators continue to espouse economic recovery, many people are still feeling the sharp sting of the recession. This year a little can go far if you are looking for fun, thoughtful gifts. Ranging from the frivolous to the environmentally and health conscious, businesses in Northwest Philadelphia offerings cover a wide swath. Here are my gifts for under $10 that can be found on Germantown Avenue:
- Fortune Cookies – Artisans on the Avenue, 8440, is selling these satin embroidered pouches, shaped like fortune cookies (hence their name) that open with a pinch and can be used for everything from a change purse to jewelry storage. $7.
- Funky Cards – Mango, 8442, features a wide variety of funky, bohemian stock for anyone with a leftist fashion sense and their spattering of household items take the ordinary and make it stylish such as with their funky designed decks of cards. $6.
- The Greens – Kitchen Kapers, 8530, shows off its whimsical side carrying The Greens, a line of kitchen utensils – bottle opener, ice cream scoop, potato masher, etc. – that look like dolls, wearing dresses or suits with beehive hairdos and handlebar mustaches. $9.99.
- Dice Sports – Chestnut Hill Sports, 8628, cannot keep a series of small dice sports games – soccer, baseball, football, lacrosse – on its shelves. Kits come with a set of cards that allow the fan in everyone to play anytime, anywhere. $9.99.
- Magnetic Bracelet – Sanctuary, 8611, a wealth of healthy living and well-being, combines style with substance at a great price in its silver, hermatite bracelets, which promote circulation. $9.95.
- Minor Indulgence – Cobblestones, 8433, carries the largest selection of Vera Bradley in the area
and although many of the items can be pricey (they have sales too) the compact, two-way mirror, covered in Bradley’s famous fabric patterns are the perfect “little something” to treat someone special. $6.
- Envirosax – Jean Jacques Gallery, 7118, offers the minisax lunch bag in a variety of patterns for the environmentally conscious lunch bagger. Washable, reusable, compact and stylish, the minisax is one indulgence that will encourage lunch packing and less waste. $7.49.
Want to support the Local? Join the Chestnut Hill Community Association. Membership helps fund what we do. Join today.