by Jacqueline Weiss
A multi-alarm fire destroyed a carriage house at the rear of 32 Summit Street on Tuesday morning, sending one firefighter to the hospital and displacing the three residents of the home. At 10:30 a.m. fire engines and emergency responders were called to the property owned by former Chestnut Hill Community Association board member and treasurer David Mansfield and his wife, Kelley.
Fire officials said the two and a half story structure was completely engulfed in flames when they arrived at the scene, describing it as a “heavy fire throughout.”
More than two fire stations battled the fire for almost an hour before putting out the flames at approximately 11:12 a.m.
The American Red Cross was called to help the two adult female occupants and one adult male occupant of the house, who were displaced by the fire.
The injured firefighter was treated for minor injuries and released from the hospital by Thursday, officials said.
There was no damage to the main house or surrounding residences.
Pedestrians were drawn out of their homes and businesses as sirens starting blaring up Germantown Avenue. As smoke billowed above the Hill, shocked onlookers stared as the firefighters worked to get the fire under control.
One woman said, “This is horrible, I feel so sad for the homeowners.”
The Mansfields purchased the historically certified, 8,500-square-foot house in 2003 for $725,000. There is no estimate on the cost of the damages.
Fire department officials said a determination as to the cause of the fire from the Fire Marshall’s office could come as early as Friday.
Additional reporting from Jennifer Katz.
Want to support the Local? Join the Chestnut Hill Community Association. Membership helps fund what we do. Join today.