Voters choose five places to join Chestnut Hill Architectural Hall of Fame

Posted 12/19/19

Chestnut Hill Conservancy president Eileen Javers (left) with representatives of the five latest inductees to the conservancy’s Architectural Hall of Fame. The new members of the hall were …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

Voters choose five places to join Chestnut Hill Architectural Hall of Fame

Posted
Chestnut Hill Conservancy president Eileen Javers (left) with representatives of the five latest inductees to the conservancy’s Architectural Hall of Fame. The new members of the hall were celebrated at a gala on Saturday, Dec. 14. (Photo by Steve Weinik)

Five treasured places joined the Chestnut Hill Conservancy’s Architectural Hall of Fame, a distinguished list of Chestnut Hill’s most beloved significant buildings, structures and landscapes, chosen by more than 6,000 votes from the general public. One property was selected by the Conservancy’s Preservation Committee.  

This year’s inductees are: Houston Sauveur House (8205 Seminole St.; 1885; Hewitt Brothers for H. H. Houston, Architects); Anglecot (403 E. Evergreen Ave.; 1883; Wilson Eyre, Architect); The Venetian Club (8030 Germantown Avenue, ca. 1845, 1929); Stagecrafters Theater  

 Peters House (8132-34 Germantown Avenue, 1784, and early- 19th c.); and the Chestnut Hill Free Library (8711 Germantown Ave ca. 1897-1907; Cope and Stewardson, Architects).  

“The Architectural Hall of Fame celebrates Chestnut Hill as one of America's most architecturally significant communities,” said Lori Salganicoff, CH Conservancy’s executive director. “The community is blessed with outstanding examples of architecture spanning four centuries, along with stunning natural landscape that weaves throughout. Chestnut Hill is not only a historic place but one where great design thrives into the future.”   

“The Architectural Hall of Fame serves the Chestnut Hill Conservancy’s mission to protect and manage change in the built environment by raising community awareness about its irreplaceable assets,” Salganicoff said.  

“And it honors the effort that current stewards are making, which is essential.”  

The Architectural Hall of Fame recognizes the community’s most treasured buildings, structures and landscapes in Chestnut Hill. These properties represent groundbreaking approaches to planning and design; or are significant for their design, materials, craftsmanship; or as an exceptional example of their style, or are of historic significance because of an association with an event, a person, or by virtue of age. Over 150 people attended the gala, which was sponsored by the Nottingham-Goodman Group of Merrill Lynch Bank of America, BMT, Dennis F. Meyer Inc., Bowman Properties, Regan Construction Company, Tallulah & Bird Interior Architecture & Design, Regan Kline Cross Architects, Shechtman Tree Care, and SOMD architects. Additional sponsors included Matthew Millan Architects, Philadelphia Home Collective (Compass), Valerie Designs, Valerie Designs, Johnson Kendall Johnson, George Woodward Co., Anderson Ironworks, United States Roofing Corporation, and Tents Party Rentals & Planning.  

The new inductees join existing Hall of Fame properties: the Thomas Mill Covered Bridge (originally built 1731), Abraham Rex Store

Woodward Offices (8031-33 Germantown Ave, 1762), Morris Arboretum (numerous notable architects, 19th-21st centuries), Chestnut Hill Baptist Church & Cemetery (2 E Bethlehem Pike, 1835), Chestnut Hill College-Historic Complex (9601 Germantown Ave, 1850-1961), Gravers Lane Station (Frank Furness, 1883), the Wissahickon Inn (G.W. and W.D. Hewitt, 1883-84), Water Tower Recreation Center (209 E. Hartwell Lane, 1889, 1919), the Chestnut Hill Fire Station (John T. Windrim, 1894), Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields (G.W. and W.D. Hewitt, 1895), Krisheim, 7600-block McCallum Street (Peabody and Stearns, Olmsted Brothers, 1910-12), the Half- Moon Houses (7919-25 Lincoln Drive, 1916), Margaret Esherick House (Louis Kahn, 1960-61), and the Vanna Venturi House (Robert Venturi, 1962-64), and 614 St. Andrews Road (Elie- Antoine Atallah, 2013).  

Photographs and brief histories of all of these properties can be seen at www.chconservancy.org.

community

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here